Things to Do — 4 Wheel & ATV

Though off-road access and ATVs are limited, the Forest Service roads around the campground are open to OHV use and include some incredible scenery.
Regulations are noted below, but remember that OHV use on Forest Service roads are limited to licensed drivers over the age of 16 with adequate liability insurance. A Colorado OHV permit is required and can be purchased at the Sportsman's Campground Store.
ATV Regulations
  • Colorado state law requires all ATVs and unlicensed motorcycles to have an annual OHV registration permit.
  • All operators must possess a valid drivers license or vehicle operators license.
  • Licensed vehicles may travel on all roads that are designated routes, however unlicensed motorcycles and ATVs are required to stay on roads permitted roads.
  • All vehicle operators must observe authorized barriers, closed signs, and other obstacles meant to restrict vehicle travel or access.
  • Liability insurance is required for all unlicensed motorcycles and ATVs.
  • ATVs cannot be driven within city limits of Ouray, Silverton, Lake City, Ophir, and Telluride.

For more information, contact the San Juan Public Lands Center at (970) 247-4874 or Colorado Division of Wildlife Durango Area Office at (970) 247-0855.